Round Rock ISD is located in southern Williamson County and northwest Travis County and includes the City of Round Rock and portions of the City of Austin and the City of Cedar Park. The area covers 110 square miles encompassing high tech manufacturing and urban retail centers, suburban neighborhoods, and farm and ranch land.
Roughly 45,000 students attend the district's five high schools, ten middle schools, 32 elementary schools, and two alternative learning centers. During the past five years, the number of students has increased by nearly 15%, and enrollment continues to grow by more than 1,200 students per year.
Visit our Overview page to learn more about Round Rock ISD.
Education in Round Rock
Soon after Williamson County was founded in 1848, pioneer settler Jacob M. Harrell, a blacksmith, built a log schoolhouse for use by his neighbors. Believed to be the first school in the county, it was located at Moss' Spring on Lake Creek (2 Mi. S.W.). Later, another log cabin school was opened north of Brushy Creek by Samuel. L. Makemson and Dr. D.F. Knight.
As the area developed, efforts were made to provide a complete community educational program, early college training was offered by the Greenwood Masonic Institute, which was established in 1867. The school was later operated by local Presbyterian churches and by the city as Round Rock Institute. The first publicly-supported school for Round Rock students opened in 1878. A second college, Trinity Lutheran, was in operation from 1904 to 1929.
In 1913, residents of the area voted to incorporate Williamson County Common School District No. 19 as the Round Rock Independent School District. M.G. York, an area school administrator, was chosen as the first superintendent of the new school system.
Under the direction of such superintendents of O.F. Perry, 1939-57, and Noel Grisham, 1957-79, the district has been noted for rapid growth and quality education.