Note: for student records contact the campus attended.
Find out how long to keep campus and departmental records by accessing the district’s Record Control Schedule at the following link:
Standards and Procedures
If you are a department who is permitted to send records to the Records Storage Center, please see the following procedures:
- Check the records wanting to be destroyed against the control schedule.
- A log of each record being destroyed should be maintained. This log is usually called a record disposition log. See example: Record Disposition Log.
- Complete and print the form. The principal or department supervisor should sign for permission to destroy.
- Records to be destroyed should be packed in boxes no larger than a copy paper box.
- Call Central Texas Secure Shredding at (512) 670-2900 and arrange to have the boxes picked up. You should have 10 or more boxes before calling Central Texas Secure Shredding.
- The Record Disposition Log is a permanent record and must stored in a safe place. This log documents that the records were destroyed according to the information in the record control schedule.
- Record destruction should be done often and at the very least annually.
Why Do We Care About Records Retention
The following is a quote from the Texas State Library and Archives Commission Retention Schedules:
"Destruction of local government records contrary to the provisions of the Local Government Records Act of 1989 and administrative rules adopted under it, including this schedule, is a Class A misdemeanor and, under certain circumstances, a third degree felonly (Penal Code, Section 37.10). Anyone destroying local government records without legal authorization may also be subject to criminal penalties and fines under the Public Information Act (Government Code, Chapter 553)."
DOCUMENT DESTRUCTION SERVICE
Vendor: CENTRAL TEXAS SECURE SHREDDING
Phone: (512) 670-2900
Please contact the vendor directly. Note that payment of service is the responsibility of the campus/department. Please include the the contract number on all purchase orders and procurement card purchases.
Records Retention Contact
If you have any questions you can:
- You can Submit a Question online
- E-Mail Nathan Shetter
- Call Nathan Shetter
Records Retention Specialist
Records Management Officer