Kindergarten Pre-registration begins March 1, 2017
Incoming Kindergarteners need to be age 5 by September 1
What do I need to register my child for Kindergarten?
- Proof of residence within the district (contract on house, lease agreement, actual title to house, current RRISD tax statement, or current utility bill indicating the address and the adult’s name.)
- Child’s official birth certificate
- Child’s immunization record (see requirements below)
- Child’s social security card (Preferred but will not prevent enrollment)
You should come to registration even if you do not have all of the above information.
Parents will be given notice of when these items are due.
We encourage you to register your child even if you do not have all of the above information at the time of registration. In order to complete your child’s registration, the above documents must be provided to the campus prior to the first day of school.
- DTP series – Five doses, unless the fourth dose was received on or after the 4th birthday in which case only four doses are required.
- Polio – Four doses, one of which must have been received on or after the 4th birthday. Or, if the third dose was administered on or after the 4th birthday only three doses are required. If any combination of four doses of OPV and IPV was received before four years of age no additional dose is required.
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) –
- Two doses of measles, mumps, rubella -containing vaccine are required. The first dose must be administered on or after the 1st birthday and the second dose must be administered before entry into Kindergarten.
- Hepatitis B – Three doses of Hepatitis B are required.
- Hepatitis A – Two Doses
- Varicella – Two doses of varicella vaccine received on or after the 1st birthday (if the child has NOT had chickenpox)
Some of the immunizations require three doses a few months apart; therefore, we advise you to begin them early and complete them in mid-August. Contact your family doctor or county health office for the immunizations. Immunization requirements may change so check the Immunization Web site for updates and for information on exemptions.
2017-2018 Registration is now open
My Child’s School
Kindergarten is the first step a child takes to building life-long learner skills. In Kindergarten, students begin to create a strong foundation for reading, writing and communication. All learning activities are geared to the children’s developmental readiness and needs. Our goal is to meet each of the children where they are and “grow them from there.”
If you’re not sure which elementary school is closest to you, our Find Your School page can help.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I still register on March 8 if I do not have all the above documents?
You should come to registration even if you do not have all of the above information. Parents will be given notice of when these items are due.
What if I don’t have my child’s official birth certificate?
An official birth certificate may be obtained by calling the state health department in the state where your child was born. In Texas, you may contact the Bureau of Vital Statistics, Austin at 512-458-7111. Please allow sufficient time for your request to be processed. An official birth certificate is preferred, but hospital certificates with appropriate signatures are acceptable.
Is my child required to have a physical and dental exam before he or she starts school?
Although these are not required, you will be wise to schedule these checkups. Your doctor, dentist, or the county health office will give you a written report. Bring this report to the school when your register your child.
May I leave my child at school before starting time and after closing time each day?
No. Teachers must plan and get materials ready for classes; children cannot be supervised by school personnel.
How can I get more information if I still have questions?
If you have additional questions, call the office of the elementary school in your neighborhood. List of campus contacts.
For the name and location of your neighborhood elementary school, call Round Rock ISD at 512-464-5087. Bus schedules, school supply lists, lunch prices, and other information will be available in August.
Rock Talk: Preparing your child for Kindergarten
Ready for kindergarten? Children (and parents) start a new chapter in their lives when they start their school career. Rock Talk sits down with the district’s kindergarten experts, who share their insights on how to help your child gain the right mix of kindergarten-readiness skills.
Full Episode – 11:43 mins
Guests: Tricia Vazquez, Pre-K Teacher; Sibyl Lee, Parent/Community Specialist; Sophia Chin, Parent/Community Specialist
Moderator: Corey Ryan, Executive Director, Communications & Community Relations